Tumwater is conveniently located on Interstate 5, between Seattle and Portland, just south of Washington’s state capitol, Olympia, and is adjacent to and encapsulates many Port of Olympia properties. Tumwater had many state offices and a mix of industrial, manufacturing, commercial and residential.
Browse to About Tumwater for community demographics.
- Tumwater Population—24,060
- Thurston County Population—290,536 July 1, 2019, (Census V2019, OFM)
- 2016 Tumwater 10-mile Population Estimate—212,698
- Land area—17.76 square miles
- Jobs—23,364 (2010, City only)
- Average Household Income—$71,678 (2011/10 mile)
- Interstate access—Five miles of Interstate 5 frontage with 102,000 average daily trips
Detailed demographic information
Download Economic Profile (25 MB)
Visit WhyThurstonCounty.com to search and customize demographic reports for Tumwater and the greater Thurston County area.
And visit our regional partner, Thurston Economic Development Council (EDC), or contact Thurston EDC staff at (360) 754-6320 for more information.
Traffic Counts for Tumwater streets and major intersections are available online.
Community Data, Trends and Maps
Find more community data and trends at Thurston Regional Planning Council’s online version of The Profile.
Rooftops and Businesses
- New Housing Starts: 140-150 annually (Community Development Department)
- New Permitted Residential Units: 181 total (2011)
- Average Owner-Occupied Housing Value: $260,400 (2011)