While driving during winter, the Tumwater Police Department reminds you of the following safety tips:
- Clear all windows, and do not start driving until your windows are defrosted.
- Unattended vehicles with their engines running make prime targets for thieves.
- If it is snowing, turn on your headlights – this helps other drivers see you.
- Slow down so you are able to maintain control of your vehicle at all times.
- Make sure all occupants are wearing their seatbelt.
- Four-wheel and all-wheel drive vehicles do not stop or steer better in icy conditions. Slow down and give yourself plenty of room.
- Keep a safe distance from, and do not pass, any snow plow and/or sanding truck.
- If you get stuck, activate your emergency hazard lights, and remain in your vehicle; you are safer there than outside of your vehicle. If you must exit the vehicle, check for other traffic and then stand a safe distance away.
Washington State Department of Transportation Winter Driving Brochure