Tumwater City Hall, Tumwater Library, and Old Town Center will be closed Monday, January 20, 2020, in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

Water, sewer, and street problems can be reported by calling the Public Works Hotline at (360) 754-4150. Police, fire, and emergency medical response services will be available as usual. Emergency? Call 9-1-1

Sewer Backups

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
    The City of Tumwater Public Works Operations Division is responsible for mitigation and clean-up of all sewer spills located on public property. A public sewer spill, also called a sanitary sewer overflow (SSO), is the result of blockages in the sewer lines owned and maintained by the City. A private sewer spill is a spill that is the result of blockages in the customer's lateral sewer line. The City is required to report public and private sewer spills to the Washington State Department of Ecology.

    Report sanitary sewer overflow immediately

    If a Sanitary Sewer Overflow occurs on your property, or you observe one in the street, immediately report it to the Operations Division at (360) 754-4150. Calls can be received 24/7.  

    If the overflow/spill is occurring on your property, please take the following steps:

    1. Call Public Works Operations at (360) 754-4150 to report the spill.
    2. Cease using additional water or flushing toilets until the blockage is cleared and the spill is cleaned-up.
    3. If the blockage is identified as private, contact a local plumber to help you clear the line.
    4. Sanitary waste can be a serious health risk.  Take appropriate precautions when attempting to contain or clean up a sanitary spill on your property.  If you have any questions, give us a call!

    Learn more...

    Prevent Sewer Backups

    Claims for Damages