Car Seat Installation & Safety Checks
Car seat safety isn’t only a good practice to keep, it’s the law. A Certified technician at the Tumwater Fire Department provides car seat safety inspections as a service to the public by appointment only.
Make sure your precious cargo is as safe as possible! Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of injury-related death among children ages 14 and under.
Washington Seat Belt Law Requires:
- All vehicle occupants must be properly restrained in all seating positions.
- The driver is responsible for properly securing all children under the age of 16.
- Passengers 16 years of age and older are responsible for themselves. They may receive their own citation if they are not properly restrained.
- >Buckling one seat belt around two people or placing the seat belt under the arm or behind the back is dangerous, this can cause death or serious injury, and is a violation of the law.
Washington's Child Restraint Law Effective January 1, 2020
- Children up to age 2 must be properly secured in a rear-facing car seat.
- Children ages 2-4 years must ride in a car seat with a harness (rear or forward facing).
- Children 4 and older must ride in a car or booster seat until they are 4’9″ tall.
- Children over height 4’9” must be secured by a properly fitted seat belt (typically starting at 8-12 years old).
- Children up to age 13 must ride in the back seat when practical to do so.
- Child restraint system must comply with U.S. DOT standards and be used according to vehicle and child restraint manufacturer.
For the best protection, a child should remain in each stage of restraint until they reach the maximum height and weight based on the manufacturer’s instructions. wacarseats.com
Car Seat Safety
The Tumwater Fire Department offers a certified car seat inspection and safety education. A certified technician will inspect your seat for recalls, correct installation and answer any safety questions you may have.
Be sure to bring both your vehicle and car seat owner’s manuals with you. For a correct installation of a car seat, both manuals are needed. If you do not have one or both, you can find these manuals/guidelines on the internet. If you are not able to bring your child with you, it is helpful if you bring your child's height and weight.
By appointment only, please call 360.754.4170 to schedule.
Location: Tumwater Fire Department Headquarters, 311 Israel Rd SW, Tumwater (see map)
Contact the Tumwater Fire Department at (360) 754-4170 or email@example.com for details. For more information on car seats and safety, please visit the Safety Restraint Coalition’s website.