Tumwater City Hall is open to the public with limited hours. Visit our COVID-19 webpage for more information.

Online City ServicesResources for Businesses | Resources for Residents Tumwater 2 Go

Police, fire, and emergency medical response services are available as usual. Emergency? Call 9-1-1.

Fireworks Safety

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Fireworks Regulations

The sale, purchase and discharge of consumer fireworks within the City of Tumwater is prohibited at all times of the year.

Fireworks purchased or sold in other communities, may not be used in Tumwater.

The fireworks ban does not apply to public displays or to the sale, use and discharge of small trick and novelty device, such as snakes, glow worms, and party poppers. Sparklers and all other types of "safe and sane" fireworks are prohibited.

The Tumwater fireworks ban is similar to the ban previously approved by Olympia and Lacey voters. This means that fireworks may not be sold, purchased or discharged in the cities of Lacey, Olympia, and Tumwater.

What should I do with unused fireworks?

Unused fireworks may be easily and safely disposed of at home:

  • Soak fireworks overnight in a bucket or tub of water, then drain.
  • Place soaked fireworks in a heavy duty trash bag, and seal tightly.
  • Place the bag in your garbage container for pick-up.

Residents and visitors celebrating Independence Day or holidays in the City of Tumwater are encouraged to do so in a safe and enjoyable manner that is within the law.

Permits for Professional Fireworks Displays

Tumwater Fire Department issues permits for professionally-operated public fireworks displays. Complete the permit application and submit by email. Permit applications may also be sent by fax to (360) 754-4129 or mailed to Tumwater Fire Department, 

Public Fireworks Display PermitPDF file


We're here to help you stay SAFE! Contact or call (360) 754-4170.