Note for New Property Owners
Please be aware that utility bills are tied to the real property served. Unpaid balances from the previous owner of the property will be transferred to the currently active utility account after the City has made every effort to collect the unpaid balance. Please contact your closing agent if you become aware of an unpaid balance to see if closing funds are available to clear the closed account.
Purchasing a new home?
Property owners may complete and return the New Owner Property Agreement form via email and let us know your closing date. Up to a $15 fee will be charged, to appear on your first monthly bill, when setting up a new account after ownership of the service location has changed.
Purchasing a home to rent? - Converting your home to a rental unit?
Landlords may establish duplicate billing for tenants:
- Property owners may complete the Property Owner Agreement form as "non-owner Occupied" and return via email.
- Upon receipt of your request, a "copy" of your bill will be sent to the service location in the name of "CURRENT TENANT".
- Accounts remain in the property owners name.
- You will continue to receive bills to ensure prompt payments are being made on your account.
- Final bills are only created for the sale of a property upon transfer of ownership.
- Utility Billing staff may assist you in breaking down your bill by billing periods so that you may discern tenant/owner responsibility.
Selling your home?
Complete a Seller Form to report your pending sale to the Utility Billing Staff. Upon confirmation of transfer from the Thurston County Assessor's Office, your account will be closed and a final bill will be created. If using a Title Company, please check with them or with our Utility Billing Staff before remitting final payment.
Purchasing another Tumwater home? Please complete a New Owner Property Agreement above and let us know the (approximate) closing date!
Temporarily Stop Water Service
A temporary disconnect of water service is available. $30 one time fee applies and will be charged to your account upon disconnect.
Are you going away on an extended vacation or your property is going to be left vacant for more than 2 months? To temporarily disconnect your water, complete a Disconnect Request Form and return via email. Only the water, sewer and LOTT fees will stop for the duration of disconnect.
Note: Stormwater fees cannot be stopped and will continue to be billed monthly. Stormwater fees fund the essential infrastructure that manages drainage from rain or snow, providing flood control and more for the entire community.
Need a Re-connect of services?
Returning home? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. Please include a day and time (allow 24hrs notice) that you will be available and present at your home.
Tumwater Municipal Code Chapter 13.18 Utility Billing Process