Tumwater City Hall and all City facilities will be closed to the public until further notice. Visit our COVID-19 webpage for more information.

Online City ServicesResources for Businesses | Resources for Residents Tumwater 2 Go

Police, fire, and emergency medical response services are available as usual. Emergency? Call 9-1-1.

Who Needs a Business License

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Who Needs a Business License 

The City of Tumwater requires all businesses engaged in any business activity within city limits to be licensed with the City, in accordance with Tumwater Municipal Code (TMC) Chapter 5.04.  This includes in-home businesses, in-city businesses (owned and operated in the city), out-of-city business that have transactions in Tumwater, registered nonprofit businesses and temporary businesses.   

Effective 1/1/19 in accordance with TMC Chapter 5.04.070(E)

“Any person or business whose annual value of products, gross proceeds of sales, or gross income of the business in the city is equal to or less than $2,000 and who does not maintain a place of business within the city are exempt from any fees in this chapter. However, they are not exempted from registering or obtaining a business license with the city of Tumwater. The threshold does not apply to regulatory license requirements or activities that require a special permit.”


The Business Licensing Specialist is available to answer any questions you may have.  You may contact the Licensing Specialist Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except holidays at:

Tumwater City Hall 
555 Israel Rd. SW
Tumwater, WA 98501 (map)

(360) 754-4136