We make it easy to build a mini library in your neighborhood!
Group projects create opportunities for neighbors to meet and build relationships with each other. Re-energize your neighborhood and work together to install and stock a mini library. The Tumwater Neighborhood Project Grant Program provides funds to help with materials to build a Mini Neighborhood Library. Adopt and install a Mini Neighborhood Library kit or be bold and design and install your own! Gather neighbors to supply and replenish books. This is a great way to promote reading and literacy, add an artistic element in your neighborhood, and involve everyone.
It’s easy – apply, approve, build, or install
Adopt a pre-assembled kit or create your own library for your neighborhood! Apply today for kit or a project grant to build one. Kits and grants are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are subject to available materials and funds. Complete the application today!
Please fill out the reservation form and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants will be required to make one visit to Tumwater City Hall, 555 Israel Rd SW, in Tumwater, during regular business hours, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday to obtain the installation permit. Our staff will help you schedule your visit.
This is a new opportunity from the Tumwater Neighborhood Matching Grant Program. The mini library makes it easy to bring neighbors together to get to know each other and have fun! The Mini Neighborhood Library Kit can be used in conjunction with a Neighborhood Event Grant.
Groups must agree to the following to participate:
- Obtain permit approval from the City for library placement. Mini Neighborhood Librarys must comply with all permitting requirements and be accessible in locations that benefit the surrounding neighborhood, with easy access and visibility.
- Finish and install the library.
- Call utility locator before digging.
- Maintain the library by cleaning and stocking an appropriate supply of books (partnerships are encouraged).
- Place location on the City of Tumwater Mini Neighborhood Library map.
- Optional: register the library location to be part of an international network of free community libraries and obtain an official registration plaque at www.LittleFreeLibrary.org
Contact the Volunteer Coordinator at (360) 252-5424 for more information.