On Wednesday, October 16th, work to upgrade the VOA website will take place between 1500 UTC and 1900 UTC. Visitors to our website may experience problems during that time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
High School Intern ProgramThe City of Tumwater’s High School Intern Program is a great opportunity for high school students looking to gain experience in the daily operation of local government. The program is designed to accommodate school schedules and can be somewhat flexible around after school activities and family obligations – should such a need arise. In addition to providing an inside glance at the roles and responsibilities of local government, the program also prepares students for the professional world by familiarizing them with an office environment.
Interns in the program are rotated every three to four months so that all qualified applicants are allotted a chance for growth and learning. The City also benefits from the program because it allows staff to delegate tasks to the students – providing them with an opportunity to dedicate more time to other projects.
Conditions for InternshipThe student must be at least 16 years old, and
- Attending a school within the Tumwater School District.
- Have no previous work experience.
- Not be related to any City of Tumwater employee.
- Willing to work for minimum wage.
Examples of various duties the student may be responsible for include:
- Routine clerical tasks – answering multi-line telephone systems, route calls, accurately record messages and ensure appropriate staff receive said messages
- Respond to various questions with tact and courtesy
- Refer complex or difficult questions to other staff members
- Type forms, labels and memoranda on par with the City’s professional standards
- Modify existing forms, prepare yearly notebooks/files, and update inter-office phone directories
- Use the Laserfiche online records database
- Help prepare for special events
- Maintain necessary office supplies and possibly order replacement supplies with approval
- Operate various types of photocopying or scanning equipment
- Enter data on computer
- Act as backup for staff providing services to customers at the front counter and/or main reception area
The Administrative Services Department (HR) works directly with the high school counselors for recruitment. Please contact Hanna Miles at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (360) 754-4120, if you have any further questions about the High School Internship Program.
College Intern Program (college-level experience)