The Crosby House dates from ca. 1860 and was built by Nathaniel Crosby III after he married Cordelia Jane Smith in August of 1860. Miss Smith was the daughter of Jacob and Priscilla Smith who lived in the Lacey area.
The illustrious house changed hands numerous times throughout the years before it was placed with a trustee, William Manier, a local attorney. Through the efforts of the Schmidt family and descendants of the Crosby family, the house was purchased and donated to the Daughters of the Pioneers of Washington, Chapter 4 in 1947.
In 1981, the Daughters of the Pioneers gave the house to the City of Tumwater with provision that the Daughters would have a life estate in the property as long as Chapter 4 continued. The Daughters of the Pioneers have restored and furnished the house and indeed have fought valiantly to keep the house through the construction of Deschutes Parkway and Interstate 5. The house also features a pioneer garden.
The Crosby House is listed on the Tumwater Register of Historic Places, the National Register as part of the Tumwater Historic District and individually listed on the Washington State Register of Historic Places.
702 Deschutes Way, Tumwater, WA (adjacent to the Brewmaster's House, formerly the Henderson House)
Open Sundays, 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., April through October only.
Tours available any time of year upon request. For tours, please contact Trudy Hughart or Ann Olson (information below).
Ann Olson, President, Olympia Chapter #4 Daughters of the Pioneers of Washington.
Call (360) 943-5209 or email email@example.com
Trudy Hughart, House Chair, Olympia Chapter #4 Daughters of the Pioneers of Washington
Call (360) 273-9543 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Crosby House is owned by the City and operated by the Daughters of the Pioneers.