The Thurston Craft Brewing and Distilling Innovation Parthership Zone (IPZ) recognizes the unique collaboration and partnership in the community to advance craft brewing, distilling, and cider making in the region. This partnership is strong on education and workforce development, entrepreneurship, industry, research, and public partners to accelerate economic advancement and innovation. Spearheaded by the Thurston Economic Development Council and Center for Business Innovation, plus South Puget Sound Community College, School of Food Science at Washington State University/University of Idaho, City of Tumwater and a platform of local brewers, cider makers, and distillers. With support from the cities of Olympia and Lacey, and the Port of Olympia.
Announcement of IPZ Designation
NEW! Issaquah Sports Medicine, Thurston Craft Brewing and Distilling are state’s newest Innovation Partnership Zones - Washington State Department of Commerce news release, October 2, 2015
NEW! The official IPZ Designation Letter
The Thurston Craft Brewing and Distilling IPZ is to ensure a world-class source for craft brewed beers and ciders and craft distilled spirits which are made from locally grown ingredients by independent expert producers and distributed nationally and internationally to great acclaim.
The vision of the Thurston Craft Brewing and Distilling IPZ is one of economic vitality, the embrace of community history and legacy, the empowerment of local businesses to thrive, and the establishment of a renowned center of craft brewing and distilling excellence which attracts visitors and customers from around the world. Specifically, the IPZ partners envision the following in the next 10 years:
- The establishment of the Tumwater Craft Brewing and Distilling Center at the site of old Olympia Brewing facility adjacent to the Deschutes River and Capital Lake.
- The establishment of a set of Craft Brewing and Distilling training certifications through the South Puget Sound Community College.
- A nationally and internationally recognized regional brand for craft brewed beers, ciders, and craft distilled spirits that rivals "Florida Oranges" or "Swiss Cheese."
- A cluster of successful and widely recognized producers and marketers of craft brewed beers and ciders and craft distilled spirits which employ local workers.
- A well-functioning network of those producers and local farmers who grow the grains, fruits, and hops used as raw ingredients in the craft beverage products.
- Create a cluster of craft brewers and distillers, a network of growers of grains and hops, and widely recognized branding, distribution, and retail of their products.
- Recruit talented individuals into the workforce, entrepreneurs and established businesses into the economy, and investment dollars into the Craft Brewing and Distilling cluster.
- Retain successful craft brewers, brew pubs, craft distillers and other local providers of craft beers, ciders and spirits to resident community customers and out-of-town visitors.
- Expand awareness of the cluster of local producers, demand for their products and desire to visit the community and sample craft beers, ciders, and spirits.
- Develop and integrate the local supply chain of ingredients.
- Develop a nationally and internationally recognized brand for craft brews, ciders and liquors coming out of Thurston County, and develop the distribution channels for local producers to access national and international markets.
For more information, please contact Ramsey Zimmerman, Thurston Economic Development Council, at (360) 754-6320 or firstname.lastname@example.org.