- Historic Properties
This English Builder style house was built in 1929 by the Tumwater Lumber Mill Company. The lot and house were quick-claimed deeded to Emma Osterlof and Arthur Anderson, who was the President of the Tumwater Lumber Mill Company. Arthur, the oldest of six brothers, was born in Sweden in 1888 and arrived in Olympia in 1919. With two other brothers, Edward and Ossian, they purchased a modest saw mill, and together started Anderson Brothers Mill Company. The following year, another brother, Sten, who had trained as an architect at Cooper-Union in New York, arrived in Olympia to join the family business, as well as two other brothers, Karl and Olaf. In 1921, the business became Tumwater Lumber Mill Company as they built a new and larger mill and added logging operations. In 1922, they began Tumwater Ready-Cut Homes, which produced pre-fabricated lumber and materials. The company built over 500 houses in the Olympia and Tumwater area, as well as some nationally and in Europe. Arthur died in 1940 and the business began to decline until its dissolution in the late 1940s.